Year 8 Computer Science
Year 8 Computer Science
Searching & Sorting Algorithms
- Explain the factors which impact on efficiency of the binary search algorithm.
- Explain the factors which impact on efficiency of the linear search algorithm.
- Explain the factors which impact on efficiency of the bubble sort algorithm.
- Explain the factors which impact on efficiency of the merge sort algorithm.
- Explain the factors which impact on efficiency of the insertion sort algorithm.
Structured Query Language
- Evaluate the differences between Boolean operators.
- Construct examples that use an array of different arithmetical operations.
- Explain why SQL exists and what it is used for in everyday life.
- Create example SQL for SELECT, INSERT and DROP statements.
- Identify the results or actions from the execution of a given SQL statement.
Hyper Text Markup Language
- Evaluate the effectiveness of key structural elements from existing websites.
- Create a website which uses <img> tags within a structural element.
- Create a website which makes use of multiple formatting tags, such as headings and paragraphs.
- Explain the syntax behind a variety of tags, including <a>, <div> and <span>.
- Identify errors in HTML code where open or close tags are missing, explaining the impact that this can have on the page.
- Create programs that incorporate sequences of instructions, with iteration used correctly.
- Explain what programming constructs are needed to tackle a scenario.
- Create a program that writes to a text file in an efficient manner.
- Create a program that reads data from a text file.
- Create a program that uses lists to store data efficiently.
- Explain what data will be inside a data packet that travels along a network.
- Describe the difference between a Local Area Network and a Wide Area Network.
- Evaluate the advantages and disadvantages to using the Bus topology.
- Evaluate the advantages and disadvantages to using the Ring topology.
- Compare and contrast the difference a hub or switch could make to the operation of a Star Topology.
Right or Wrong?
- Evaluate the effectiveness of the Data Protection Act to ensure personal data is kept securely.
- Explain the three elements of the Computer Misuse Act.
- Compare and contrast users’ availability to online activities from each side of the digital divide.
- Evaluate the impact computers have on the environment in terms of carbon footprint, energy consumption and e-waste.
- Explain ways that Creative Commons licences can be used to protect original work.