Year 8 Design Technology
Year 8 Design Technology
- Interpret and use information.
- You demonstrate an understanding of users’ views and take users views into account about aesthetic and technical issues as you respond creatively to the design brief.
- You can identify your own design problems and reformulate them.
- You investigate users’ needs, correlate and analyse data.
- You respond creatively showing that you understand how culture and society are reflected in similar products/dishes.
- You explore using a variety of sources of information showing that you understand the form and function of similar products.
- You respond creatively exploring and testing your design thinking.
- You research trends and patterns in current designs/dishes and suggest improvements.
- You observe and take inspiration form others’ designs/dishes and this is reflected in your ideas.
- You communicate your design ideas which meet the brief and client needs and summarise which ideas/dishes will work best.
- Your work demonstrates an understanding of materials, ingredients, processes and function.
- You explore various approaches to generate creative ideas/dishes and avoid stereotypical responses (biomimicry & user-centered approaches)
- You identify specification points to inform the design of innovative, functional and appealing products/dishes that respond to needs. You use various sources of information showing that you understand aesthetics and ergonomics, taste, texture and smell.
- You recognise the importance of others’ designs as you examine and adapt existing ideas.
- You use a range of information to help support your design thinking and thoughts on form and function.
- You communicate your ideas using 3D and mathematical modelling.
- You demonstrate your understanding of and use the properties of materials/ingredients and the performance of structural elements to achieve functioning solutions.
- You reflect on your designing as you go along.
- You associate how more advanced mechanical systems used in their products enables changes in movement and force.
- You test and analyse your design showing you understand where the product will be used.
- You develop detailed criteria for your product and explore alternative methods of manufacture.
- You research using a wide range of information when developing and modelling your ideas.
- You demonstrate using a variety of tools, equipment, processes, (inc CAD/CAM), materials or ingredients to realise your idea.
- You explain why the finish/presentation of a product/dish is important. You work accurately using the right tools and equipment.
- You check your work as it develops and respond to problems. You explore into a range of processes/cooking techniques (inc CAD/CAM) equipment, materials and ingredients.
- You plan, sequence and categorise work logically.
- You follow the detailed plans and identify alternatives.
- You work confidently using a wide range of processes, materials, ingredients and finishes.
- You explain what has worked well and what could be improved to overcome the problems experienced.
- You test your work to ensure it is fit for purpose.
- You test, evaluate and refine your product showing that you understand where the product will be used.
- You ask your peers for suggestions for improvement. You identify new and emerging technologies. You investigate designers past and present.
- You analyse and develop your research, ideas and product. You explore how they could be used.
- You gather feedback/suggestions for improvement from potential users and other interested groups
Food, Cooking & Nutrition
- Identify the different food groups required for a healthy diet and categorise these foods.
- Compare a healthy and unhealthy diet. Analyse different foods and the nutrients that are in them.
- Research and discuss government health campaigns and the impact that they have on society.