Year 7 English
Year 7 English
- Use skimming, scanning and close reading effectively to enable you to express secure and detailed interpretations of meaning.
- Identify a wide range of language techniques, using accurate terminology consistently.
Context & Theme
- Make detailed and thoughtful connections between a text and its context/themes.
- Develop detailed explanations to show how the context or themes affect meanings of selected sections of the text.
Evaluation & Effect
- Make thorough and expressive analytical comments about the intentions of the writer and the effect their language use has on the reader.
- Demonstrate an evaluative tone within responses.
Reference & Style
- Make thorough and selective use of embedded, direct quotations.
- Demonstrate a well organised and sustained critical style.
- Make detailed comparisons between texts.
- Spell all words correctly, with errors only on particularly ambitious vocabulary.
- Use varied and often ambitious vocabulary for effect.
- Use vocabulary which is almost always appropriate to audience and purpose.
- Always use basic punctuation correctly.
- Make regular use of a wider range of punctuation to include commas, ellipsis, dashes and semi-colons.
- Use a full range of sentence structures to create particular effects in most pieces of writing.
Sequencing & Cohesion
- Sequence all writing logically, making cohesive links between paragraphs.
- Use paragraphs correctly in all writing.
- Show some evidence of using paragraphs to create particular effects on the reader.
- Develop writing with imaginative detail, making some crafted use of language techniques.
Audience & Purpose
- Demonstrate a clear awareness of audience and purpose.
- Understand the conventions of a range of writing purposes with a range of appropriate techniques being regularly used.