Year 8 Science
Year 8 Science
- Evaluate the importance of a balanced diet and discuss the implications of food group deficiencies on health. Discuss how the digestive organs work alongside enzymes in the body to enable efficient digestion and absorption of food.
- Discuss how key plant organs are adapted for efficient pollination, fertilisation, dispersal, and germination, including a comparison of plants in different ecosystems.
- Explain the role of photosynthesis in plant growth.
- Discuss how aerobic and anaerobic respiration in animals and plants is facilitated by well adapted gas exchange systems and discuss the implications of smoking, asthma and exercise on effective gas exchange.
- Discuss a variety of human and natural uses for unicellular organisms.
- Explain how unicellular organisms reproduce and evaluate methods used to slow or prevent reproduction.
- Analyse the formation of products produced during combustion reactions and justify methods to reduce risks. Model simple reactions using symbol equations.
- Evaluate the contribution made from combustion reactions linked to global temperature rise and carbon dioxide levels.
- Explain the formation of each rock type linked to their properties and landscape features.
- Explain the extraction of metal ores linked to their position in the periodic table.
- Model chemical reactions using word and symbol equations and suggest how the reactivity of metals can be deduced.
- Interpret graphs of melting and boiling points for mixtures of varying compositions.
- Use the particle model to explain how pressure and density changes and what causes contraction and expansion.
- Explain that light travels from a source as a transverse wave and interpret ray diagrams for mirrors, glass blocks and lenses.
- Compare the ways heat can be transferred and calculate the efficiency of different appliances.
- Explain why the heliocentric model of the solar system is the current model, as well as how the relative motion of planets and the moons are responsible for years, day and night, seasons, eclipses and phases of the moon.